Friday, June 26, 2009

The Adventures of Little Jim

Some goof ball that I work with fancies himself a 'decorator' and occasionally leaves me little gifts for my office. The latest was this tiny porcelain elf that I've decided to call "Little Jim", for no particular reason. Ok, there is but I've decided to keep it to myself to protect the not-so-innocent. At the insistence of some of my co-workers (yes, they really had to twist my arm) I took him with me on a business trip to Louisiana. And this was our adventure.....

Little Jim was very excited to go on his first trip to Louisiana. (It was my first trip as well.) He was not, however, too keen on riding in my suitcase. I promised him that I would let him out as soon as we got on the plane.







As promised, I let Jim out to have a look around as soon as we boarded. He was a little nervous about flying so.........

He ordered a bloody mary. I will come to find during this trip that Little Jim drinks. A lot.





After two take-offs and descents, a 40 minute lay-over in Memphis that was extended to about an hour due to complications with the cargo bin on the plane, we arrived in Baton Rouge and rented our car. Little Jim thought we should have been driving a truck since we were in the South. A pink truck. I was starting to wonder exactly which team Little Jim played for.....

After a short drive, we found our hotel and checked in. Little Jim was glad we were only on the second floor. Apparently he is afraid of heights. Little Jim is kind of a wuss. Kind of like another Jim I know, but I digress........


Little Jim wanted to use the phone as soon as we checked in. I don't know who he thought he was going to call. Little Jim doesn't have any friends. Just like another Jim, I know. Hmm.......















Little Jim insisted on jumping on the bed before we could leave to go meet Melissa. I think Little Jim may have ADHD.








After an early morning flight and a long afternoon of going through files, Little Jim and I were both exhausted so we headed back to the hotel. On our way back to the hotel Little Jim insisted that I stop and buy him a bottle of wine. He drank the whole thing while we watched 'Sweet Home Alabama'. It was white wine. I'm pretty sure I know which team Little Jim is playing for now..


After the movie (and the wine) Little Jim brushed his teeth.......









Said his prayers.......











And fell fast asleep........













The next morning we completed the file review, which left the afternoon to explore New Orleans. Little Jim was particularly excited, which should have been my first clue that he was not going to behave himself. Don't let the 'angelic' smile fool you, he's a handful. Just like someone else I know.....












It started at lunch. Little Jim thought this was a vodka tonic and dove right in. Much to his displeasure, it was just water......










Next stop was Pat O'Brien's. Little Jim had to order a hurricane, of course. He said something about it being a 'tradition'. It wasn't even five o'clock yet. I think Little Jim may have a problem....









Little Jim is also very vain. I think he would still be staring at himself in the mirror at Pat O'Brien's if I hadn't promised to buy him another drink.













Once Little Jim spotted the gay/lesbian gift shop, he temporarily forgot about drinking. He insisted on going in. He even bought a magnet for his "friend". I know for sure which team he's playing for......

















Here is Little Jim on top of the piano bar in the oldest bar in New Orleans. This is where he really started to get out of control. He about got us thrown out of the place because he insisted on singing 'It's raining men' at the top of his lungs. The staff was not amused. Neither were we.....











Imagine the look of disappointment on Little Jim's face when he discovered that a 'gentleman's club' was not what he thought it was. He did want to buy a shirt that said 'I stripped at Rick's' but they didn't have his size.......








The next stop was a musical festival at a square in down town New Orleans. Little Jim was in rare form here. The only way I could keep him from grabbing my phone, dialing numbers and then handing it to me was by taking his picture. He is such an attention whore.....








He was going on and on about becoming a judge when I took this. I told him to keep dreaming......













This was taken at dinner, and it was all down hill from there. I don't even want to mention what happened next. Let's just say that photo is not fit for public consumption....... We tried to stage an impromptu intervention, but he insisted that he wasn't an alcoholic because he doesn't go to meetings. I think that Little Jim may have scared Melissa's friends that joined us for dinner.....



Finally, finally, FINALLY Little Jim had the good sense to just pass out! He was feeling a little under the weather the next morning and spent the trip home sleeping it off in my purse. After his exploits he's darn lucky I didn't make him travel in my checked baggage.
Lesson learned from my adventures with Little Jim? Never trust a man dressed like an elf.



No comments:

Post a Comment